Building homes must balance with environment and heritage
Dear Ed, We urgently need the investment in housing which Tower Hamlets has been denied by Conservative and Labour governments over the last 30 years. But building new homes has to be balanced against ensuring the environment is preserved and there is due respect for the East End’s heritage
EVERYONE knows there is a massive housing crisis in the East End of London, with 23,000 families on the waiting list and 12,000 overcrowded.
We urgently need the investment in housing which Tower Hamlets has been denied by Conservative and Labour governments over the last 30 years.
However, building new homes has to be balanced against ensuring the environment is preserved and there is due respect for the East End’s heritage. Families in the area around Dod Street in Limehouse face two threats from both these reasons.
You may also want to watch:
Poplar Harca housing association promised an open space would be returned as a grassed area with a children’s playground that is sadly lacking here. Now this has been ditched in order to build a small number of town houses.
On the other side of the road, the historic Labour Exchange building that housed Poplar Jobcentre is faced with demolition and replacement with an 11-storey eyesore.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 4 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 5 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 6 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 7 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 8 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 9 Councillor ex-husband of MP Apsana Begum suspended from Labour Party
- 10 Call to remain vigilant after gay man killed in park in Mile End
The council must listen to residents if we are to improve the environment and preserve our heritage.
Cllr Dulal Uddin
Respect group Deputy Leader
Tower Hamlets Council
Town Hall, Blackwall