Buses to run on chip oil and animal fat
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 buses will be run on diesel made from used chip oil and animal fat as part of a new pilot scheme.
All buses from the Barking depot will now run on a blend of 80 per cent regular diesel and 20 per cent biodiesel, an environmentally friendly fuel which will help cut carbon emissions of each bus by about 15 per cent.
Biodiesel is a renewable, clean-burning fuel made from used cooking oil from the catering industry and tallow which is a residue from the meat processing trade.
Routes that will run on the new fuel include the 15 to Trafalgar Square. A 50,000 litre storage tank has also been installed, enabling the biofuel to be mixed on-site, reducing costs and lowering carbon emissions.
Matthew Pencharz, Boris Johnson’s senior advisor for Environment and Energy, said: “This is another example of the mayor’s commitment to cutting carbon emissions and making our city’s transport even cleaner and greener. The mayor has called for investment in a large scale biodiesel refinery in the capital and with London operating one of the biggest bus fleets in the world, this pilot is an important step in demonstrating to the UK’s biodiesel industry that there is a huge potential demand for it here.”
You may also want to watch:
Mark Threapleton, managing director for Stagecoach London, added: “Stagecoach was the first bus company to use 100 per cent biofuel back in 2007 and we’re delighted to be at the cutting edge in the use of this cleaner, greener biofuel in London.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries