Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Thousands of families on East End housing estates are being connected to broadband internet after a deal with social landlords.
Eastend Homes has signed a “wayleave agreement” with Community Fibre and Tower Hamlets Council to wire up 4,000 homes.
The deal aims to provide 100 per cent fast internet connection with 1G to 3G speeds depending on the neighbourhood.
“The past year has shown how critical it is to stay connected,” Community Fibre’s Graeme Oxby said. “All Londoners have the right to access fast broadband as much as any other utility service.”
Work is also being carried out to upgrade estate management to include door entry, CCTV and lift monitoring to increase energy efficiency and security.
You may also want to watch:
Six community centres are also getting free “gigafast connection” to access public services online. This follows a pilot started on Mile End’s Bede Estate in March, which was expanded to the Holland Estate in Spitalfields a month later.
The deal aims to get all Eastend Homes main blocks cabled up within six months. Households then get the option once the installation is completed to select their broadband provider, with options to add phones and TV packages.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches