New 'apartments' hotel opens in Whitechapel inspired by Oscar Wilde
- Credit: Staycity
A new high-rise apartment hotel where you book a flat with your own kitchenette rather than just a bedroom has opened in Whitechapel.
The Wilde “apart-hotel” inspired by Irish playwright Oscar Wilde has been opened in Commercial Road by the Staycity Dublin group.
It has 156 studio and one-bed apartments on 13 floors as well as hotel services, a bar, gym and 24-hour check-in.
“Our blend of home and hotel brings Oscar Wilde to Whitechapel,” general manager Edion Bashllari said. “This fascinating part of London has amazing restaurants and landmarks within easy reach.”
He got his staff to go on a “walkabout” to get to know Whitechapel to recommend places to visit, including Jack the Ripper's haunts.
Corner apartments on higher floors have 180-degree views of the London skyline with landmarks such as Canary Wharf, the Shard and Gherkin towers in the City and as far east as London City Airport.
The Wilde was built on the site of what was once the Turner House office block on the corner of Greenfield Street that’s now demolished.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 6 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 7 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women