Work begins on new Hilton Hotel to open in Whitechapel
- Credit: LBTH
Work on a new five-storey flagship Hilton Hotel in Whitechapel with 278 bedrooms and a small cinema and function suite has begun.
It is due to open in July 2023 in Osborn Street — which Tower Hamlets Council is thinking of renaming Lower Brick Lane — on the site of the four-star Arbor City Hotel.
The scheme is part of the developers’ strategy over the next 12 months to help east London’s hospitality industry recover from the pandemic.
The work has had “no delays as a result of the emergency” after Dominvs property investment group got planning consent in 2018.
“This Hilton Hotel will add an asset to the area in a key location,” Dominvs’s director Jay Ahluwalia said. “It’s in the heart of the business district and poised to welcome visitors back as London recovers.”
You may also want to watch:
The refurbishment is using London Stock bricks and bronze framing to revitalise the 1960s building to blend in “with the surrounding historic architecture”.
The present structure has been stripped out and work has started on the extension at the rear that backs onto properties along Whitechapel High Street.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking