Work begins on new Hilton Hotel to open in Whitechapel
- Credit: LBTH
Work on a new five-storey flagship Hilton Hotel in Whitechapel with 278 bedrooms and a small cinema and function suite has begun.
It is due to open in July 2023 in Osborn Street — which Tower Hamlets Council is thinking of renaming Lower Brick Lane — on the site of the four-star Arbor City Hotel.
The scheme is part of the developers’ strategy over the next 12 months to help east London’s hospitality industry recover from the pandemic.
The work has had “no delays as a result of the emergency” after Dominvs property investment group got planning consent in 2018.
“This Hilton Hotel will add an asset to the area in a key location,” Dominvs’s director Jay Ahluwalia said. “It’s in the heart of the business district and poised to welcome visitors back as London recovers.”
You may also want to watch:
The refurbishment is using London Stock bricks and bronze framing to revitalise the 1960s building to blend in “with the surrounding historic architecture”.
The present structure has been stripped out and work has started on the extension at the rear that backs onto properties along Whitechapel High Street.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Volunteers thanked for running East End food bank for 70 weeks
- 10 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block