Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- Credit: Aitch Group
A former industrial bakery converted into commercial studios in Hackney Wick's rejuvenation zone has been launched onto the rental market against pressure for more creative workshop space.
The Bagel Factory in Whitepost Lane has been turned into an art deco warehouse-style complex by Aitch developers.
The five-story building, which is set to "pay homage" to its former industrial use, has 42,500sq ft of workspace as part of a wider commercial enterprise that includes Stonemasons Yard and the Old Smokehouse.
Some studios have already been rented out, such as to The Wick CrossFit for yoga and gymnastics and to Powster digital entertainment.
Four storeys have also been sold to the nearby Pirate studios in Rothbury Road for activities such as podcast recording, dancing, production and DJ-ing.
The Bagel Factory design, agreed by Tower Hamlets Council, reflects the historic warehouses by the Lea River in a rejuvenation zone with the new Hackney Wick Overground station complex opened in 2018.
You may also want to watch:
It follows campaigns by East End Trades Guild and the mayor of Tower Hamlets in recent years for more creative workshop space for small businesses which have been priced out by mass redevelopment.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears