Charity which helps refugees find jobs gets Queen's Award
- Credit: Breaking Barriers
A charity that runs sessions to help refugees in Bethnal Green get jobs and blend into British society has been given a Queen’s Awards for Enterprise.
The Breaking Barriers charity is one of 205 organisations being recognised for “promoting opportunity through social mobility”.
It was set up in Shoreditch by Matthew Powell in 2015 to help refugees and asylum-seekers find work and integrate through education and training.
“The prestige of the award I hope brings more sustainable opportunities for refugees,” he said. “The news comes at a challenging time for refugees as they’re disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.”
One in five refugees in London are now unemployed because of the pandemic, according to a report by the charity on the impact of Covid-19.
You may also want to watch:
Breaking Barriers, which holds weekly sessions at Bethnal Green’s Sundial day centre, has helped more than 1,000 refugees get work or go into education, training or volunteering. It offers a chance of paid work placements or permanent jobs in 20 companies it is in partnership with.
The full list of Queen’s Awards is being announced on April 29, after having been postponed from April 23 due to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 3 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 6 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 7 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election