Cabinet refshuffle means promotion for Fitzpatrick
by Julia Gregory THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming. The Labour MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues. He takes over from fellow MP Jane Ken
THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for East London MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming.
The Labour Poplar & Canning Town MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues.
He takes over from Jane Kennedy who resigned from her ministerial role yesterday and has been promoted to Minister of State at the Department for Environment.
He got the call from Prime Minister Gordon Brown last night who moved him from his job as Under Secretary of State for Transport.
His new job covers animal welfare matters, bovine tuberculosis, veterinary policy, food chain, gangmasters and some environmental issues.
He said: "It's not just about food and farming, but about labelling and dealing with retailers."
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 3 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 4 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 5 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 Aspire 'will work for everyone in Tower Hamlets' after winning majority
- 9 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
He was due at an agricultural conference on Wednesday.
He added: "Although I've always enjoyed my contact with Mudchute Farm, I couldn't have known I'd end up Minister for Mudchute!"