Cabinet refshuffle means promotion for Fitzpatrick
by Julia Gregory THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming. The Labour MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues. He takes over from fellow MP Jane Ken
THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for East London MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming.
The Labour Poplar & Canning Town MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues.
He takes over from Jane Kennedy who resigned from her ministerial role yesterday and has been promoted to Minister of State at the Department for Environment.
He got the call from Prime Minister Gordon Brown last night who moved him from his job as Under Secretary of State for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
His new job covers animal welfare matters, bovine tuberculosis, veterinary policy, food chain, gangmasters and some environmental issues.
He said: "It's not just about food and farming, but about labelling and dealing with retailers."
- 1 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 2 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 3 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
He was due at an agricultural conference on Wednesday.
He added: "Although I've always enjoyed my contact with Mudchute Farm, I couldn't have known I'd end up Minister for Mudchute!"