Cabinet refshuffle means promotion for Fitzpatrick
by Julia Gregory THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming. The Labour MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues. He takes over from fellow MP Jane Ken
THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for East London MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming.
The Labour Poplar & Canning Town MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues.
He takes over from Jane Kennedy who resigned from her ministerial role yesterday and has been promoted to Minister of State at the Department for Environment.
He got the call from Prime Minister Gordon Brown last night who moved him from his job as Under Secretary of State for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
His new job covers animal welfare matters, bovine tuberculosis, veterinary policy, food chain, gangmasters and some environmental issues.
He said: "It's not just about food and farming, but about labelling and dealing with retailers."
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
He was due at an agricultural conference on Wednesday.
He added: "Although I've always enjoyed my contact with Mudchute Farm, I couldn't have known I'd end up Minister for Mudchute!"