Cabinet refshuffle means promotion for Fitzpatrick
by Julia Gregory THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming. The Labour MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues. He takes over from fellow MP Jane Ken
THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for East London MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming.
The Labour Poplar & Canning Town MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues.
He takes over from Jane Kennedy who resigned from her ministerial role yesterday and has been promoted to Minister of State at the Department for Environment.
He got the call from Prime Minister Gordon Brown last night who moved him from his job as Under Secretary of State for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
His new job covers animal welfare matters, bovine tuberculosis, veterinary policy, food chain, gangmasters and some environmental issues.
He said: "It's not just about food and farming, but about labelling and dealing with retailers."
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 9 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 10 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
He was due at an agricultural conference on Wednesday.
He added: "Although I've always enjoyed my contact with Mudchute Farm, I couldn't have known I'd end up Minister for Mudchute!"