Cabinet refshuffle means promotion for Fitzpatrick
by Julia Gregory THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming. The Labour MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues. He takes over from fellow MP Jane Ken
THE CABINET reshuffle has meant promotion for East London MP Jim Fitzpatrick who is moving from transport to food and farming.
The Labour Poplar & Canning Town MP is now getting to grips with animal welfare and farming issues.
He takes over from Jane Kennedy who resigned from her ministerial role yesterday and has been promoted to Minister of State at the Department for Environment.
He got the call from Prime Minister Gordon Brown last night who moved him from his job as Under Secretary of State for Transport.
You may also want to watch:
His new job covers animal welfare matters, bovine tuberculosis, veterinary policy, food chain, gangmasters and some environmental issues.
He said: "It's not just about food and farming, but about labelling and dealing with retailers."
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
He was due at an agricultural conference on Wednesday.
He added: "Although I've always enjoyed my contact with Mudchute Farm, I couldn't have known I'd end up Minister for Mudchute!"