Call for crowd control volunteers at Brick Lane's Baishaki Mela
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May. The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year s festival in Brick La
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May.
The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year's festival in Brick Lane, Weaver's Fields and Allen Gardens, and is offering 25 people the opportunity to get an NVQ qualification.
The Mela, which will take place on Sunday, May 23 to celebrate the Bengali New Year, is expected to draw in large crowds and Tower Hamlets council says it is vital there are qualified stewards on hand.
The stewarding course is a Level 2 NVQ in Spectator Safety and future stewards will learn how to manage conflict and deal with accidents and emergencies, as well as other crowd management skills.
You may also want to watch:
The two day course is free and open to anyone who has been a British resident for three or more years and is 19 or over.
All successful applicants must be able to attend both training days on May 17 and 18 at the Brady Arts Centre and the Mela event on May 23.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Anyone interested in attending the course should contact Catherine Boyd on 020 7364 7909 or firstname.lastname@example.org