Call for crowd control volunteers at Brick Lane's Baishaki Mela
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May. The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year s festival in Brick La
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May.
The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year's festival in Brick Lane, Weaver's Fields and Allen Gardens, and is offering 25 people the opportunity to get an NVQ qualification.
The Mela, which will take place on Sunday, May 23 to celebrate the Bengali New Year, is expected to draw in large crowds and Tower Hamlets council says it is vital there are qualified stewards on hand.
The stewarding course is a Level 2 NVQ in Spectator Safety and future stewards will learn how to manage conflict and deal with accidents and emergencies, as well as other crowd management skills.
You may also want to watch:
The two day course is free and open to anyone who has been a British resident for three or more years and is 19 or over.
All successful applicants must be able to attend both training days on May 17 and 18 at the Brady Arts Centre and the Mela event on May 23.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 7 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus
Anyone interested in attending the course should contact Catherine Boyd on 020 7364 7909 or firstname.lastname@example.org