Call for crowd control volunteers at Brick Lane's Baishaki Mela
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May. The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year s festival in Brick La
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May.
The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year's festival in Brick Lane, Weaver's Fields and Allen Gardens, and is offering 25 people the opportunity to get an NVQ qualification.
The Mela, which will take place on Sunday, May 23 to celebrate the Bengali New Year, is expected to draw in large crowds and Tower Hamlets council says it is vital there are qualified stewards on hand.
The stewarding course is a Level 2 NVQ in Spectator Safety and future stewards will learn how to manage conflict and deal with accidents and emergencies, as well as other crowd management skills.
You may also want to watch:
The two day course is free and open to anyone who has been a British resident for three or more years and is 19 or over.
All successful applicants must be able to attend both training days on May 17 and 18 at the Brady Arts Centre and the Mela event on May 23.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 8 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 9 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 10 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
Anyone interested in attending the course should contact Catherine Boyd on 020 7364 7909 or email@example.com