Call for crowd control volunteers at Brick Lane's Baishaki Mela
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May. The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year s festival in Brick La
EAST Enders could get a stewarding qualification as Tower Hamlets council puts on a free course to train marshals for the Baishaki Mela in May.
The council has teamed up with AP Security, the firm providing the security at this year's festival in Brick Lane, Weaver's Fields and Allen Gardens, and is offering 25 people the opportunity to get an NVQ qualification.
The Mela, which will take place on Sunday, May 23 to celebrate the Bengali New Year, is expected to draw in large crowds and Tower Hamlets council says it is vital there are qualified stewards on hand.
The stewarding course is a Level 2 NVQ in Spectator Safety and future stewards will learn how to manage conflict and deal with accidents and emergencies, as well as other crowd management skills.
You may also want to watch:
The two day course is free and open to anyone who has been a British resident for three or more years and is 19 or over.
All successful applicants must be able to attend both training days on May 17 and 18 at the Brady Arts Centre and the Mela event on May 23.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
Anyone interested in attending the course should contact Catherine Boyd on 020 7364 7909 or email@example.com