Call for Home Office probe into Mark Blanco’s death at Pete Doherty party in Whitechapel

Mark Blanco

Mark Blanco - Credit: Sheila Blanco

The mother of actor Mark Blanco is calling this week for the Home Office to reopen the investigation into his suspicious death at a Whitechapel party with rock star Pete Doherty.

Sheila Blanco and family snaps of Mark

Sheila Blanco and family snaps of Mark - Credit: Archant

Sheila Blanco still searches for answers on today’s eighth anniversary of Mark’s tragic death when he plunged from a balcony at Fieldgate Mansons in 2006.

“I just want truth and justice for my son,” she told the East London Advertiser this week. “It’s been eight years of constant search to get the truth.

“But instead it’s been constant frustration, always trying to push people to do their job.”

The part-retired university lecturer has spent £20,000 on private investigations into Mark’s death and blames police for failing to bring a prosecution.

Sheila Blanco [left] with George Tavern's Pauline Forster

Sheila Blanco [left] with George Tavern's Pauline Forster - Credit: Archant

You may also want to watch:

“Mark’s life was taken away from him when he was just 30,” she added. “But the police are doing little. I’ve gone through all levels of chain of command, just two steps short of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, but have got nowhere.”

She has now contacted her MP Anne Milton, a government whip, and went to meet her in the Houses of Parliament with a QC to press for the Home Office to take it up.

Most Read

Mark was in the lead role of ‘Death of an Anarchist’ due to open at Stepney’s George Tavern studio theatre when he died.

He turned up at literary agent Paul Roundhill’s flat in Fieldgate Mansions overlooking Romford Street to get backing for the production, ironically in which his character plunges to his death from the fourth floor of a police station.

He got involved in a bust-up at the flat with Doherty and his minder Johnny ‘Headlock’ Jeannevol, witnesses said.

Mark fell from the first-floor balcony at 12.30am on December 3, 2006. He died the following day at the Royal London Hospital, holding his mother’s hand.

Police at the time said there was nothing suspicious. But coroner Dr Andrew Reid returned an open verdict at the Poplar inquest the following October, which heard that ‘Headlock’ had retracted his police confession saying he was “off his head”.

The coroner asked Scotland Yard to investigate, but no-one was ever charged.

The studio theatre at The George in Commercial Road where Mark Blanco was due to perform was later renamed by landlady Pauline Forster in his honour.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus