Call for volunteers to help dish up festive cheer for homeless in Whitechapel
IT MAY only be July but an East End charity which provides breakfast and hot showers for the homeless is looking for teams for just three days to help over the festive season. However the slots which need filling by teams of volunteers are Christmas Day,
IT MAY only be July but an East End charity which provides breakfast and hot showers for the homeless is looking for teams for just three days to help over the festive season.
However the slots which need filling by teams of volunteers are Christmas Day, New Year's Day and January 3.
The Whitechapel Mission recruits groups of four to six people per day to help cook up a traditional fry up and hand out clothing and toiletries to the homeless people who pop into its centre for a hot meal and a shower.
Banks, law firms and church groups help staff the roster and the centre in Whitechapel Road need three more groups to dish up festive cheer. They need to be available from 5.45am to 11.30am and help out cooking, cleaning up afterwards and mopping up the showers.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile supporters are pounding the city streets in this Sunday's London 10k run. Already sponsors have pledged more than �16,000 to 127 runners who are raising cash for the mission.
There may be a few more running slots available. Contact Jenny on 020 7247 8280 for more details.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 10 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
Further information about volunteering opportunities are available at www.whitechapel.org.uk/christmas.php