Callous thieves steal war memorial from East End park
Thieves are accused of insulting the memory of people who died in both world wars as they steal an East End war memorial.
CALLOUS thieves who have stolen a memorial honouring the dead of two world wars have been branded as “disgusting”.
They prised off a metal panel at the war memorial at Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park and took away a list of names of servicemen who died in the First and Second World Wars.
The panel is worth just �80 but will cost �10,000 to replace and repair the damage to the granite base.
Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick branded the theft an “insult” and said it was a disgusting insult to the people who died during both wars.
The MP, a member of the Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park said: “Any damage and theft of the memorial is an insult and I condemn it totally. Those who deface tributes to the fallen are pathetic and ignorant vandals.”
Ken Greenway from the park which is now a nature reserve said he thinks the thieves mistakenly believed the plaque was made of bronze. It is one of 16 recording the names of scores of service personnel who died.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 4 Almost 3,000 Barts Health hospital staff yet to have Covid jab, figures show
- 5 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 6 Burial and cremation fees rise at City of London Cemetery and Crematorium
- 7 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 8 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 9 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
- 10 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
He said: “The theft was shocking. A lot of park users say just how deplorable it is. You may not know the names on the memorial but it is there to honour them and what they did during the wars and the sacrifices they made.
“The thieves stuck a crowbar behind the plaque and tried to take a second plaque. They may have been disturbed or gave up when they realised the plaque was too light to be bronze.”
The replacement costs will be met by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but a new plaque will have to be commissioned from Australia.
Mr Greenway said he hoped the replacement would be ready in time for Remembrance Sunday in November. He said that families can be reassured that despite the theft there is a record of the full list of names from the memorial.
The thieves struck between 6pm on Sunday August 8 and midday on Monday August 9.
Any witnesses or anyone who is offered the plaque for sale or scrap should contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
The park off Southern Grove in Bow has been beset by problems this summer with firebugs setting fire to meadows and logs which are left as habitats for wildlife have also been torched.