Duchess of Cornwall on royal visit to Bethnal Green pensioners’ lunch club
- Credit: LBTH
The Duchess of Cornwall popped into an East End pensioners’ lunch club in Bethnal Green bearing a Christmas gift and tucking into a square meal.
She joined the dinner table at the Russia Lane day centre behind Cambridge Heath Road to learn how it helps tackle social isolation among the elderly.
Camilla saw kitchen staff preparing lunch and presented them with a special Christmas cake for the club.
The Duchess also saw Tower Hamlets’ Meals On Wheels in action that helps older people continue living independently in their own homes and met some of the delivery drivers who provide safety and wellness checks as well as a nutritious meal to those living alone.
Mayor John Biggs said: “Tackling loneliness and social isolation are now priorities for the council. Places like Russia Lane make sure older people keep their independence.”
You may also want to watch:
The Duchess was greeted at the day centre by Tower Hamlets Council’s recently-appointed pensioners’ champion, Cllr Denise Jones, who is in her 70s herself.
Yesterday’s flying Royal visit was part of Camilla’s work in tackling isolation and seclusion by encouraging older generations to keep fit, active and engaged.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single