Camilla visit to Tower Hamlets sparks Twitter row with Coleen Rooney
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
An unlikely Twitter row has broken out after the Duchess of Cornwall made a joke about how Coleen Rooney should be “more sensible” with money during a visit to a financial charity in Tower Hamlets.
Camilla made the gag about the footballer’s wife, who is married to England and Manchester United star Wayne, after learning about the astronomical cost of the celebrity’s wedding dress during a visit to Toynbee Hall yesterday afternoon.
She was there to meet staff from MyBnk, a charity that teaches youngsters at schools and youth clubs how to make sensible financial decisions and is based at the venue in Commercial Street, Whitechapel.
James Wilson, education officer at the charity, said the Duchess made the remark about Coleen when she was shown a snap of the celeb in her apparently diamond-encrusted gown.
“The question was, ‘how much does her wedding dress cost?’ and it works out somewhere in the region of £5million, once she paid for it to be hand made.
“So she joked about just learning about being more sensible with your money!”
The comment prompted an angry response from Coleen on social networking site Twitter today.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 3 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 4 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 7 London among areas where drought is declared
- 8 Kelman's first goal lifts Leyton Orient to third straight win
- 9 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 10 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
“I apparently paid around 5 million for my wedding dress!! Joke!!! Diamonds on it..... Not one! Camilla (Dutchess <sic> of Cornwall) should know better and teach children to not always believe the rubbish reported in papers,” she tweeted.
The image was one of a series of slides Camilla viewed during her visit, before heading to the Bethnal Green branch of The London Community Credit Union in Bethnal Green Road.