Campaigners against missiles in Bow during Olympics say support “overwhelming”
Support against missiles being placed on top of a residential building in Bow has been “overwhelming”, according to campaigners.
Soldiers stationed by the Ministry of Defence at Bow Quarter, on Fairfield Road, left last week after testing the logistics of putting missiles on top of the grade II listed former Bryant and May matchstick factory.
A MoD spokeswoman said the operation, part of Exercise Olympic Guardian, testing six potential London missile sites was “generally successful.”
Campaigners against the plans are continuing to mount their protest as the MoD said it will now decide which locations to use.
Journalist and resident Brian Whelan, who has led the campaign, said they have collected hundreds of signatures for their petition.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The support at Roman Road Market last Saturday was overwhelming.
“At Bow Quarter it was split 50-50 between those showing apathy and those strongly against.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Families start moving out of unsafe tower block in Bow
Campaigners have also set up a website at http://stoptheolympicmissiles.wordpress.com/
A public meeting is planned for May 24 to which MoD officials, MPs and councillors will be invited.
Lawyers representing the campaigners are also pressing ahead with legal challenge against the missile plans.