Canary Wharf celebrates Ashes with Australian humble pie
PIE makers in London’s Canary Wharf are celebrating England regaining the Ashes by creating the limited edition Australian Humble Pie all day today. Australians in London can gain some comfort from losing the cricket by tucking in to a hearty Kangaroo and Aussie Shiraz recipe—bloody beaut mate!
PIE makers in London's Canary Wharf are celebrating England regaining the Ashes by creating the limited edition Australian Humble Pie all day today (Friday).
Australians living in London can gain some comfort from losing the cricket to England by tucking in to a hearty Kangaroo and Australian Shiraz recipe-bloody beaut mate!
The Square Pie shop has created a one-off Australian Humble Pie made from genuine kangaroo and Aussie Shiraz to help cheer the devastated cricket supporters.
Any Australians who go into the shop today and asks for "some sporting Humble Pie" gets a portion of mashed potato with it.
You may also want to watch:
"I can understand what the Aussies are feeling right now," said pie shop founder Martin Dewey. "A bit of overconfidence after the Headingley test win and the lack of a spinner cost them dearly.
"So I thought they would appreciate a nice slice of Australian Humble Pie to soothe the pain."
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
The East London Advertiser has managed to acquire the recipe for Australian Humble Pie.
The ingredients: 1kg inch diced kangaroo rump, 1 bottle Australian Shiraz, 1 chopped clove garlic, half-litre water, 100g streaky bacon, 200g chopped onion, 250g half-inch diced carrot, flour, spoonful beef stock, fresh thyme.
To cook: fry off the diced streaky bacon with small amount of vegetable oil and set aside, season the flour with salt and pepper, dust the kangaroo with the flour and seal quickly in a hot pan, deglaze pan with dash of red wine and add juices to the meat, add olive oil to pan and gently sweat the onions and garlic until soft, add three-quarters of Australian Shiraz, bring to the boil and drink the rest, add the bay leaf, thyme and simmer gently for 30 mins, add kangaroo and bacon, add water until correct thickness and cook for a further 30 mins, season, eat.
Be careful not to overcook-or the pie will turn into the Ashes!