Canary Wharf celebrates Ashes with Australian humble pie
PIE makers in London’s Canary Wharf are celebrating England regaining the Ashes by creating the limited edition Australian Humble Pie all day today. Australians in London can gain some comfort from losing the cricket by tucking in to a hearty Kangaroo and Aussie Shiraz recipe—bloody beaut mate!
PIE makers in London's Canary Wharf are celebrating England regaining the Ashes by creating the limited edition Australian Humble Pie all day today (Friday).
Australians living in London can gain some comfort from losing the cricket to England by tucking in to a hearty Kangaroo and Australian Shiraz recipe-bloody beaut mate!
The Square Pie shop has created a one-off Australian Humble Pie made from genuine kangaroo and Aussie Shiraz to help cheer the devastated cricket supporters.
Any Australians who go into the shop today and asks for "some sporting Humble Pie" gets a portion of mashed potato with it.
You may also want to watch:
"I can understand what the Aussies are feeling right now," said pie shop founder Martin Dewey. "A bit of overconfidence after the Headingley test win and the lack of a spinner cost them dearly.
"So I thought they would appreciate a nice slice of Australian Humble Pie to soothe the pain."
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 5 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 6 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 7 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 8 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 9 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The East London Advertiser has managed to acquire the recipe for Australian Humble Pie.
The ingredients: 1kg inch diced kangaroo rump, 1 bottle Australian Shiraz, 1 chopped clove garlic, half-litre water, 100g streaky bacon, 200g chopped onion, 250g half-inch diced carrot, flour, spoonful beef stock, fresh thyme.
To cook: fry off the diced streaky bacon with small amount of vegetable oil and set aside, season the flour with salt and pepper, dust the kangaroo with the flour and seal quickly in a hot pan, deglaze pan with dash of red wine and add juices to the meat, add olive oil to pan and gently sweat the onions and garlic until soft, add three-quarters of Australian Shiraz, bring to the boil and drink the rest, add the bay leaf, thyme and simmer gently for 30 mins, add kangaroo and bacon, add water until correct thickness and cook for a further 30 mins, season, eat.
Be careful not to overcook-or the pie will turn into the Ashes!