Evacuations after gym blaze breaks out in Canary Wharf tower block
- Credit: LFB
Seventy people evacuated when fire broke out on the 20th floor of a Canary Wharf tower block.
Eight fire engines arrived at the 22-storey block in Crossharbour Plaza as flames swept through the sauna room of a private gym on Thursday evening, August 26.
The sauna room was destroyed, but fire crews managed to contain the blaze which was brought under control in an hour.
Some 50 people in the tower, believed to be The Collective, left the building before the fire brigade arrived and another 20 were evacuated.
No-one was hurt and damage was contained to the sauna room. The flat-dwellers were soon allowed back.
You may also want to watch:
The incident involved crews from Millwall, Poplar, Whitechapel, Bethnal Green and East Ham fire stations, and as far as Dowgate in the City and Tottenham in north London.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and most likely due to defective LED strip lighting in the sauna, according to fire investigators.
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Orient aiming to climb the table with first away win of the season
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust