Cancer patient, 7, from Custom House joins stars of stage and screen at charity Christmas party
- Credit: Archant
A seven-year-old cancer patient shared an evening with the stars at Downing Street.
Madeeha Ashraf, of Custom House, joined footballer Frank Lampard, Spice Girl Geri Halliwell and Harry Potter star Rupert Grint at the Starlight Children’s Foundation Christmas party.
Madeeha has been suffering from acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She was referred to Starlight who granted her wish to go to Disneyland Paris in April 2013.
The evening was hosted by Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne for the fourth year.
A festive wonderland complete with baubels, tinsel, Santa’s grotto and an afternoon tea greeted Madeeha and her father Ashraf Makaddar outside Downing Street on Monday, Decemeber 9.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Osborne said: “It is wonderful to be able to bring some much-needed Christmas cheer to these very poorly children and their families.”
Forty guests and their families were invited alongside stars of stage and screen including presenter Christine Bleakley, actress Kara Tointon and Strictly Come Dancing stars Ben Cohen and Kristina Rihanoff.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 5 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 6 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 7 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 8 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 9 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
Kara Tointon said: “I absolutely loved Christmas as a child and I find it terribly sad that many children will spend this festive season in hospital.
“It was wonderful to see so many beaming smiles on the young guests’ faces.”
Actress and Starlight Co-Founder Emma Samms said the party was an “opportunity for our young guests to escape the confines of the hospital ward for an afternoon”.
Starlight Children’s Foundation grants wishes for seriously and terminally ill children and provides entertainment in hospitals and hospices across the UK.
Visit starlight.org.uk for more information.