Six fire engines and about 40 firefighters raced to the second floor flat on Sunday, May 5. One woman was led to safety by fire crews and 15 others left the block before they arrived. The LFB was called to the fire just after 6pm and had it under control just before 8pm. It said the flat was badly damaged in the fire. Crews from Shadwell, Whitechapel, Bethnal Green, Islington, Shoreditch and Dowgate all attended the incident. A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. Its really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch fire.