Shadwell flat ‘badly damaged’ in fire caused by candle
- Credit: Google
The London Fire Brigade has said an unattended candle is what caused the flat fire on Bigland Street in Shadwell.
Six fire engines and about 40 firefighters raced to the second floor flat on Sunday, May 5.
One woman was led to safety by fire crews and 15 others left the block before they arrived.
The LFB was called to the fire just after 6pm and had it under control just before 8pm. It said the flat was badly damaged in the fire.
Crews from Shadwell, Whitechapel, Bethnal Green, Islington, Shoreditch and Dowgate all attended the incident.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch fire.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns