Cap MPs’ expenses with fixed rate’ for the job
Dear Ed, HOWEVER entertaining it may be to watch, we should not be demanding ever-greater detailed scrutiny of MPs’ expenses. Instead, we should look to cap them at a level we consider reasonable
HOWEVER entertaining it may be to watch, we should not be demanding ever-greater detailed scrutiny of MPs’ expenses. Instead, we should look to cap them at a level we consider reasonable.
Let us agree a rate for the job,’ taking account of salary, accommodation, travel and office costs for groups of constituencies, revise it once every four years and pay precisely that figure for the life of the Parliament.
MPs who don't want to take the job on those terms should stand aside—will be plenty of takers.
You may also want to watch:
Bruce Road, Bromley-by-Bow
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19