Cap MPs’ expenses with fixed rate’ for the job
Dear Ed, HOWEVER entertaining it may be to watch, we should not be demanding ever-greater detailed scrutiny of MPs’ expenses. Instead, we should look to cap them at a level we consider reasonable
HOWEVER entertaining it may be to watch, we should not be demanding ever-greater detailed scrutiny of MPs’ expenses. Instead, we should look to cap them at a level we consider reasonable.
Let us agree a rate for the job,’ taking account of salary, accommodation, travel and office costs for groups of constituencies, revise it once every four years and pay precisely that figure for the life of the Parliament.
MPs who don't want to take the job on those terms should stand aside—will be plenty of takers.
You may also want to watch:
Bruce Road, Bromley-by-Bow
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic