Care homes run their Olympics 3 years ahead of 2012
STAFF and residents from an East London care home competed against other centres with their own mini Olympics. The John Kirk House in Beckton represented Greece in the Games with other Sanctuary group homes held in Surrey
STAFF and residents from an East London care home competed against other centres with their own mini Olympics.
The John Kirk House, a Sanctuary home for 16 adults with learning and physical disabilities in Beckton, represented Greece in the Games with other Sanctuary group homes held at Hindhead in Surrey.
Each of the homes involved was allocated a country to represent and residents spent months researching their states, including history, culture, religion, food and dress.
"It was magic," said Kirk House deputy manager Paul Thompson. "It was just a shame it had to end."
It even began with an opening parade, followed by mixed Games for the disabled and able-bodied including tennis (with Manbi Pancha pictured), bean bag shot putting, foam javelin and tennis, with trophies and medals at the end-of-Games awards.
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 3 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
Teams involved came from East London's John Kirk House and Ashley Cooper House, Tony Long House and Shaftesbury Court in Wiltshire, Shaftesbury Place in Gloucestershire, Park Road in Kent, New Milton and Tilmore Gardens in Hampshire.