Cash to stop kids loitering in doorway of advice shop
FUNDS have been found to stop youths loitering in the doorway of an advice centre in London’s East End. The Poplar advice shop gets �10,000 to build a new frontage because the existing recessed doorway is said to encourage youngsters hanging around there intimidating callers
FUNDS have been found to stop youths loitering in the doorway of an advice centre in London’s East End.
The Poplar advice shop in Aberfeldy Street run by South Bromley Forum gets �10,000 to build a new frontage because the existing recessed doorway is said to encourage youngsters hanging around there.
The loitering has been intimidating to some callers using the advice shop and has also given rise to bouts of anti-social behaviour, the Island Development community fund revealed.
The money comes from planning contributions from Docklands developers given to Tower Hamlets council and paid to the Island fund for voluntary and community groups on the Isle of Dogs.
You may also want to watch:
Also getting �10,000 is the Docklands Sailing & Watersports centre at Millwall to renovate an old floating toilet block and a shed to provide a storage and maintenance area.
There is also money for equipment for a new games library being set up by The Space arts centre in Cubitt Town for groups to share and swap items. The Newspaper Education Trust which gives schoolchildren a taste of what it’s like working in the media gets �7,500 for a new state-of-the-art media studio at its Millwall offices. The Robin Hood Gardens estate next to the Blackwall Tunnel approach gets �1,500 to redecorate its community room.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns