Chef Delia Smith joins other celebrities in park fight
CELEBRITY chef and football club chairwoman Delia Smith has joined the fight to save an east London park.
The Wapping resident and Norwich City FC joint majority shareholder has joined Helen Mirren, Steven Berkoff, Kenny Lynch and Lee Hurst in campaigning to save King Edward VII Memorial Park near Wapping.
The park is being threatened with a super-sewer tunnel shaft by Thames Water as part of its massive Thames Tunnel project.
She said: “Sometimes you don’t agree with things, but you can understand the logic. In this instance there cannot be any trace of logic - in a built up area that’s highly populated with families, and particularly children who live in flats with no access to a garden, to remove this tiny bit of green space is quite simply idiotic. I sincerely hope the permission for this scheme will be withheld.”
Member of Save KEMP are asking Thames Water to consider nearby brownfield sites for the shaft instead of their community park.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Thames Water said: “The nub of all this is that untreated sewage currently overflows into the river via a ‘Combined Sewer Overflow’, located beneath the park. We recognise intercepting these unacceptable discharges - ie getting them into the tunnel, not the river - won’t be easy, but they have to be tackled. Our consultation is all about finding the best way to do it. Listening to local views is a key part of the process.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided