Cherie Blair opens East London education centre
CHERIE Blair officially opened a �10 million new centre of education at the University of East London today. The human rights lawyer and wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair met staff and students at the Stratford campus including the university s C
CHERIE Blair officially opened a �10 million new centre of education at the University of East London today.
The human rights lawyer and wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair met staff and students at the Stratford campus including the university's Chair of Governors, Mark Stephens and Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Susan Price.
Mrs Blair said: "I believe the Sir John Cass School of Education will be a catalyst for major change in the education landscape across London. Education transformed my life, without my education I would not have become a barrister or met Tony, which means I would not be standing before you today. Teachers do make a difference so it's fantastic to be ere where you are training the teachers of tomorrow.
"UEL has deep roots with the community and it's great to see so many people from different backgrounds here - it's important to inspire everyone. Let me congratulate you for being a beacon in your communities."
You may also want to watch:
The centre which has built up a reputation for teacher training received a major grant from educational charity the Sir John Cass's Foundation and many of its alumni go on to work in schools in London.
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 9 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings