Cherie Blair opens East London education centre
CHERIE Blair officially opened a �10 million new centre of education at the University of East London today. The human rights lawyer and wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair met staff and students at the Stratford campus including the university s C
CHERIE Blair officially opened a �10 million new centre of education at the University of East London today.
The human rights lawyer and wife of former Prime Minister Tony Blair met staff and students at the Stratford campus including the university's Chair of Governors, Mark Stephens and Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Susan Price.
Mrs Blair said: "I believe the Sir John Cass School of Education will be a catalyst for major change in the education landscape across London. Education transformed my life, without my education I would not have become a barrister or met Tony, which means I would not be standing before you today. Teachers do make a difference so it's fantastic to be ere where you are training the teachers of tomorrow.
"UEL has deep roots with the community and it's great to see so many people from different backgrounds here - it's important to inspire everyone. Let me congratulate you for being a beacon in your communities."
You may also want to watch:
The centre which has built up a reputation for teacher training received a major grant from educational charity the Sir John Cass's Foundation and many of its alumni go on to work in schools in London.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 'Save our planet' plea from children to Cop26 world leaders