Children’s tug’o’war pulls crowds into country fair at Poplar’s Chrisp Street Market
- Credit: Poplar Harca
Children got a real taste of the countryside when farm animals turned up for the annual country fair at Poplar’s famous Chrisp Street Market.
But they really got to grips with a tug o’war which pulled in the crowds on Sunday.
Some 2,500 people had a day of family fun where the market square was transformed with funfair rides, animals from Vauxhall city farm, a food and craft market, afternoon tea, traditional country games and even traditional ceilidh dancing.
Music was performed by The Muckers ceilidh band got the crowds of their feet while the brave took on an East End pie-eating contest, while there was also a collection for the Bow Food Bank.
The girls took the biscuit in the Great Poplar Bake Off contest, beating off all male competition.
You may also want to watch:
Phoebe O’Connor won ‘best in show’ title while Riahanna Oloyobi made the best cupcakes and Jenny Han-Nguyen the best decoration.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto