Chisenhale dance studio survives cuts to stage children’s workshop day
- Credit: Chisenhale studio
Kids get the chance to learn art of dance when a studio which has survived funding cuts over three decades in London’s East End celebrates its 30th birthday with a children’s special Saturday workshop day.
Bethnal Green’s Chisenhale Dance Space has been staging performances, classes and coffee mornings throughout the autumn.
But it puts next Saturday aside for youngsters to join its Kids Class Day at the studio in Chisenhale Road, off Old Ford Road, by Victoria Park.
The November 16 workshop start at 9.45am with a half-hour of Mini movers for tots aged two to three, followed by two Leaps and Strides sessions, the first at 10.30am for three and four year-olds and the second at 11.15am for ages five and six. Older kids aged 11 and 12 get a chance at 12 noon with a Dash session.
The Kids’ Day is part of a ‘Big 30’ mini season of events which has been running for a month, exploring Chisenhale’s past 30 years which includes the crisis when funding was slashed in 2008.
You may also want to watch:
“This is testament to our resilience through many shifts in the landscape,” said lead producer Laura Sweeney. “To be able to nurture and provide a home for artists on the fringes of dance and performance puts us in a unique position—so we hope to be here in another 30 years.”
The celebrations coincide with the launch of a £30,000 fundraising drive to keep Chisenhale part of east London’s arts scene—£1,000 for every year it has survived!
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 5 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 6 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 7 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 8 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 9 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences