Chisenhale dance studio survives cuts to stage children’s workshop day
- Credit: Chisenhale studio
Kids get the chance to learn art of dance when a studio which has survived funding cuts over three decades in London’s East End celebrates its 30th birthday with a children’s special Saturday workshop day.
Bethnal Green’s Chisenhale Dance Space has been staging performances, classes and coffee mornings throughout the autumn.
But it puts next Saturday aside for youngsters to join its Kids Class Day at the studio in Chisenhale Road, off Old Ford Road, by Victoria Park.
The November 16 workshop start at 9.45am with a half-hour of Mini movers for tots aged two to three, followed by two Leaps and Strides sessions, the first at 10.30am for three and four year-olds and the second at 11.15am for ages five and six. Older kids aged 11 and 12 get a chance at 12 noon with a Dash session.
The Kids’ Day is part of a ‘Big 30’ mini season of events which has been running for a month, exploring Chisenhale’s past 30 years which includes the crisis when funding was slashed in 2008.
You may also want to watch:
“This is testament to our resilience through many shifts in the landscape,” said lead producer Laura Sweeney. “To be able to nurture and provide a home for artists on the fringes of dance and performance puts us in a unique position—so we hope to be here in another 30 years.”
The celebrations coincide with the launch of a £30,000 fundraising drive to keep Chisenhale part of east London’s arts scene—£1,000 for every year it has survived!
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel