Christmas cheer as East End gets council tax rebate for winter fuel
TOWN Hall bosses are getting the Christmas spirit helping the elderly with their winter fuel. It is just one of tidings of comfort and joy for pensioners and others in London’s East End agreed by Tower Hamlets council
TOWN Hall bosses are getting the Christmas spirit helping the elderly with their winter fuel.
It is just one of a �9.2 million package of tidings of comfort and joy for pensioners and others in London’s East End agreed by Tower Hamlets council.
The old folk get a �100 council tax rebate to take pressure off winter fuel bills, the cabinet has decided.
“We know there are tough times ahead because of public spending squeeze,” said Cabinet Member Ohid Ahmed. “But we’re planning for that. We’re spending only on the things people know are important.”
You may also want to watch:
Other financial measures agreed by the cabinet include helping unemployed school leavers and others into jobs and buying school laptop computers for 16-year-olds to help improve their GCSE studies.
The cabinet also voted to pump funds into more language classes for adults who don’t speak English to help them find work and to encourage students back into mainstream learning to reduce the number of unemployed young people.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week