Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- Credit: LFB
Half of a Poplar flat was damaged by a fire caused by a cigarette.
Firefighters were called to the scene of the blaze at Ellesmere Street on February 21 after five people managed to escape.
There were no injuries but London Fire Brigade investigators believe it was started by a cigarette not being properly disposed of.
The alarm was raised when a resident smelt burning and attempted to tackle the fire themselves before leaving the building.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We’d rather you didn’t smoke at all, but if you are a smoker, it’s absolutely vital that you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“Make sure smoking materials are cold before emptying ashtrays. Preferably wet stubs before throwing them into a bin.
“This is also a reminder to never try to tackle a fire yourself. Leave it to the professionals. As soon as you become aware of a fire in your property, get out, stay out, close the door behind you and call 999.”
- 1 Stepney Green hero volunteering seven days a week since pandemic began
- 2 Arrests as police step up drugs raids
- 3 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 4 Why Tower Hamlets should be a 'royal' borough after Covid
- 5 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 6 'War of words' at Tower Hamlets cabinet meeting stops library closures
- 7 Hunt for three men after 90-year-old's Bethnal Green home is burgled
- 8 Leyton Orient manager Jobi McAnuff admits they were second best in every area
- 9 Leyton Orient suffer heavy defeat in Devon
- 10 How many Covid-19 vaccinations have been given where you live?