Cisak happy to keep O’s in hunt

O's keeper Alex Cisak makes a save (pic: Simon O'Connor)

O's keeper Alex Cisak makes a save (pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

‘It’s the most I’ve done in a game’

Leyton Orient keeper Alex Cisak was delighted to do his bit and help pick up a point against Gillingham on a busy Bank Holiday Monday at sunny Brisbane Road.

Loanee Cisak made a key save when O’s were trailing 3-1 in the second half and Darius Henderson and Josh Wright netted for the home side to secure a draw in their battle against the drop from League One.

And the Australian felt Fabio Liverani’s men might even have taken more from the game given the way they finished and the character shown.

He said: “It was like a basketball game really, just end-to-end, especially second half.

You may also want to watch:

“In the end I think we could have even won it, we were all over them after we got the third goal and were unlucky not to win.

“To get a point considering we were 3-1 down is fair. At 3-1 down we all knew it’s never over until the whistle. We just worked hard, kept creating chances and they were pretty happy with a point in the end because I think we could’ve easily taken three.”

Most Read

Lloyd James fired O’s ahead from the penalty spot on his return to the starting line-up after six months out.

But Jermaine McGlashan levelled for Gills and Cody McDonald put them ahead before the break, squeezing his header inside the post.

Cisak was frustrated with the first goal and felt Orient gifted their rivals chances due to errors.

He added: “It’s disappointing, it was a set-piece as well, we should’ve done better. I think leading up to most of the goals has been our mistakes, not keeping the ball in our half and losing the ball and they counter and score.

“It’s disappointing, but it’s a point on the board to help us stay up.”

McDonald made it 3-1 from the spot after Shane Lowry was penalised for a foul in the box, but Henderson hit back midway through the second half to give O’s hope and Wright levelled things up five minutes from time.

The point kept Orient out of the bottom four on goal difference ahead of a trip to fellow strugglers Crewe on Saturday.

Cisak added: “I think it’s the most I’ve done in a game really. Most of the games I didn’t have a lot to do. I’m happy to keep us in the game. When it was 3-1 I made a crucial save, but the boys worked really hard, especially when we were 3-1 down.

“It’s really hard to get your head around it and keep working hard and go for the goals and the boys did well to get back to 3-3 and nick a point which could be vital at the end of the season.

“Darius helped the team with flick-ons and obviously got a goal as well, so it’s all you can ask for him.

“It was really good, especially when it went to 3-3 and the fans got behind us. Obviously you can understand the frustration when we went 2-1 and 3-1 down, but they’re really good supporters and supported us when we got the goal back to 3-2 and 3-3 as well.

“We just need the boys to work hard, get their heads down and it’s a massive game on Saturday. We have to get points from that.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus