City & East London AM John Biggs will review planning and parking policies if he becomes Mayor
- Credit: Archant
As a politician, I often go canvassing and the most regular things I hear about are crime and anti-social behaviour, including dealing and use of drugs, problem neighbours and the fear of crime. It is a clear signal that more needs doing.
You hear about all sorts of other stuff too, such as housing, unemployment, planning applications and school places. It’s an important part of the job – keeping in touch.
On the Isle of Dogs there is a big issue that’s been growing – the scale of development. Apartments are being built everywhere.
Many are very nice, some less so. Some are huge – there are plans for 70-storey towers near Canary Wharf and 40 floors seems nothing unusual.
The common complaint is about the pressure they place on public transport, school places, parking, doctors surgeries, parks and open spaces and the sheer scale of them. People often complain about the planning committee – but while it may sometimes get things wrong it has to decide applications in terms of local planning policies which allow very high densities in those places.
You may also want to watch:
And there’s another problem. The council, health service, TfL and others seem to be too slow in building the schools, health centres, extra buses or whatever.
So what needs to happen is two things – a review of the planning policies to check if we’ve got them right and a bit of leadership from the town hall to make sure we build the schools and other things, and get TfL to provide the extra transport.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
And, oh yes, we need to look at parking policy too! If I become Tower Hamlets Mayor in May this year, those things will be in my in-tray. will make them happen.