City gent’ pretends he’s been robbed to con sympathisers
A TRICKSTER claiming to work for a multi-national financial institution in Canary Wharf has been conning passers-by in the street out of cash, police warned today. The smartly-dressed man’ tricked one victim out of �30 in Limehouse, claiming he had been robbed
A TRICKSTER claiming to work for a multi-national financial institution in Canary Wharf has been conning passers-by in the street out of cash, police warned today.
The smartly-dressed man’ tricked one victim out of �30 in Butcher Row, Limehouse, claiming he had been robbed and needed cash to get back to Reading where he said he comes from.
The conman promised to repay the money the next day—but disappeared without a trace.
You may also want to watch:
Police believe there have been at least 15 victims who were given bogus contact details for an employee at a major Canary Wharf accountancy firm.
“Someone is making themselves quite a nice little living out of this,” said Det Sgt Rob Brown.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
“We’ve contacted the accountancy firm and they’ve had another 15 calls.
“He’s been giving people a different name every time—but when they phone to ask for him, there is no-one of that name.”
The conman is described as a smartly dressed, white, aged about 35, around 5ft 10ins, with short light brown hair.