City gent’ pretends he’s been robbed to con sympathisers
A TRICKSTER claiming to work for a multi-national financial institution in Canary Wharf has been conning passers-by in the street out of cash, police warned today. The smartly-dressed man’ tricked one victim out of �30 in Limehouse, claiming he had been robbed
A TRICKSTER claiming to work for a multi-national financial institution in Canary Wharf has been conning passers-by in the street out of cash, police warned today.
The smartly-dressed man’ tricked one victim out of �30 in Butcher Row, Limehouse, claiming he had been robbed and needed cash to get back to Reading where he said he comes from.
The conman promised to repay the money the next day—but disappeared without a trace.
You may also want to watch:
Police believe there have been at least 15 victims who were given bogus contact details for an employee at a major Canary Wharf accountancy firm.
“Someone is making themselves quite a nice little living out of this,” said Det Sgt Rob Brown.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
“We’ve contacted the accountancy firm and they’ve had another 15 calls.
“He’s been giving people a different name every time—but when they phone to ask for him, there is no-one of that name.”
The conman is described as a smartly dressed, white, aged about 35, around 5ft 10ins, with short light brown hair.