City Hall calls in Madrid metro boss to help sort Jubilee Line
CLOSURES on the Jubilee Line for upgrade works may now miss the December completion date and run into next year, a shock City Hall report reveals today. Now the London Assembly has invited the boss of Madrid’s Metro to tell us how they manage to keep trains running during upgrading
CLOSURES on the Jubilee Line for upgrade works may now miss the December completion date and run into next year, a shock City Hall report reveals today.
Now the London Assembly is calling London Underground to account and has invited the boss of Madrid’s Metro to tell us how they manage to keep trains running during upgrading.
“We are investigating the impact of overcrowding and weekend closures on passengers,” said the Assembly’s transport committee chair Caroline Pidgeon.
“Passengers will be completely fed up to learn that they face more Tube closures over the coming months.
“I imagine people who live along the route are beginning to lose sight of the improvements after the inconvenience of what must seem like endless weekends without access to their Tube station.”
She added: “We need to understand why other metro systems such as Madrid can be upgraded without the amount of closures and disruption Londoners endure.”
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 6 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
The investigation involves both London Underground and the maintenance contractor Tube Lines appearing before the committee next month, along with the managing director of the Metro de Madrid to see what lessons we Brits can learn from the Spanish.
The Jubilee, which is the newest line on the London Underground, has had no weekend trains between Stratford, Canary Wharf and London bridge for several months because of the engineering work.