Classes running ""smoothly"" at strike-hit Tower Hamlets College
by Gemma Collins BOSSES at Tower Hamlets College have refuted claims the ongoing lecturers strike is having a detrimental impact on students education. Teachers at the co
BOSSES at Tower Hamlets College have refuted claims the ongoing lecturers' strike is having a detrimental impact on students' education.
Teachers at the college in Poplar have been striking for more than two weeks in a bid to force bosses to abandon their plans to scrap 13 teaching posts and make cuts in English courses for speakers of other languages.
Members of the University and College Union (UCU) expect the strike will have a big impact as the new term starts today, with thousands of sixth form and adult students expected to descend on the college, including campuses in Bethnal Green Road and Arbour Square in Stepney.
But a college spokeswoman today said: "It is not true that the college has been brought to a stand-still.
"We have enrolled over 4000 students onto sixth form and adult courses and many lecturers and non-teaching staff have pulled together to ensure as smooth a process as possible."
Bosses are blaming the Learning and Skills Council for the cuts, the government department responsible for funding education and training, which they say has reduced its funding for adult places at the college by 3,000 in the last three years.
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 8 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets