Classes running ""smoothly"" at strike-hit Tower Hamlets College
by Gemma Collins BOSSES at Tower Hamlets College have refuted claims the ongoing lecturers strike is having a detrimental impact on students education. Teachers at the co
BOSSES at Tower Hamlets College have refuted claims the ongoing lecturers' strike is having a detrimental impact on students' education.
Teachers at the college in Poplar have been striking for more than two weeks in a bid to force bosses to abandon their plans to scrap 13 teaching posts and make cuts in English courses for speakers of other languages.
Members of the University and College Union (UCU) expect the strike will have a big impact as the new term starts today, with thousands of sixth form and adult students expected to descend on the college, including campuses in Bethnal Green Road and Arbour Square in Stepney.
But a college spokeswoman today said: "It is not true that the college has been brought to a stand-still.
"We have enrolled over 4000 students onto sixth form and adult courses and many lecturers and non-teaching staff have pulled together to ensure as smooth a process as possible."
Bosses are blaming the Learning and Skills Council for the cuts, the government department responsible for funding education and training, which they say has reduced its funding for adult places at the college by 3,000 in the last three years.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 9 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 10 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery