Viewpoint: Mayor should feel ashamed about hike in councillors’ allowances
- Credit: Archant
Once again this borough is in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
In John Biggs’s manifesto he said he’d fight corruption, not that this administration’s first priority on being re-elected would be to line their own pockets.
Mayor Biggs says it’s about professionalising politics, but what about our social workers? Aren’t they professionals? They’re not getting bumper rises, and they’re making do with far less than his part time cabinet get for a full time job.
It was only two years ago that Mayor Biggs last raised members’ allowances, including a £10,000 boost to his own salary. Since then, we’ve failed Ofsted, seen the return of government intervention and topped the league table for rat and mice infestations.
Just like the bankers bonuses paid at the height of the financial crisis, this is a reward for failure.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor Biggs should hang his head in shame.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel