Cockroach curry at dirty Brick Lane restaurant
A GRIMY Brick Lane restaurant has been forced to clean up and pay a hefty fine of more than �16,000 after breaking food hygiene laws. Thames Magistrates Court fined Mangos, 90 Brick Lane, �16,416 on Friday last week after it heard how Tower Hamlets counc
A GRIMY Brick Lane restaurant has been forced to clean up and pay a hefty fine of more than �16,000 after breaking food hygiene laws.
Thames Magistrates' Court fined Mangos, 90 Brick Lane, �16,416 on Friday last week after it heard how Tower Hamlets council's Environmental Health Commercial Officers found an infestation of mice and cockroaches at the restaurant in October last year.
The officers discovered mice droppings on chopping boards, in the sink and on plates. In addition cockroaches were found in the kitchen and a container in which the spices were kept. The restaurant was immediately closed for cleaning and pest control works.
The investigation and subsequent prosecution revealed that the company, Mango Brick Lane Ltd, did not keep the premises clean, food was not protected from contamination, there were no steps to control pests and work surfaces and packaging were not free from the risk of contamination by pests.
You may also want to watch:
It was also found that staff had not been adequately trained and that the company did not have a documented system in place to manage the food safety risks.
The court issued the maximum fine possible on three of the seven offences presented. The restaurant did not attend the proceedings and was found guilty in its absence.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week