Search

Cockroaches and rodent urine close down East End food outlets

PUBLISHED: 21:45 12 August 2008 | UPDATED: 13:32 05 October 2010

A FAST food takeaway and a grocery store in London’s East End have been fined after both premises were closed down by public health inspectors for infestations of cockroaches and mice. Take-away food containers at Tajul Islam's Perfect Fried Chicken’ take-away in Mile End had been gnawed by rodents and live cockroaches were behind the sink. The other East End food trader prosecuted was Abdul Ahad, whose Raomin Mini Stores in Roman Road in Bow where food shelves were in a filthy condition and sticky with rodent urine

A FAST food takeaway and a grocery store in London's East End have been fined after both premises were closed down by public health inspectors for infestations of cockroaches and mice.

Tajul Islam, 55, admitted breaking food hygiene regulations at his 'Perfect Fried Chicken' take-away in Mile End when he appeared before Thames magistrates on Friday (August 8).

Town Hall health inspectors found "an active cockroach infestation" and shut down the premises in the Mile End-road in August last year.

The food was not protected against contamination which could lead to being unfit for human consumption, they decided.

"There was an uncovered waste drain allowing access for pests," said Paul Greeno, prosecuting for Tower Hamlets council.

"There was an active infestation of both cockroaches and rodents. Rodent droppings were discovered with salad containers."

He added: "Take-away food containers had been gnawed by rodents and live cockroaches were behind the sink."

Islam, who was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay a further £750 costs, was allowed to re-open once the health risk had been removed.

The other East End food trader prosecuted on Friday was Abdul Ahad, 24, whose Raomin Mini Stores in Roman Road in Bow was infested with mice.

Public health officers found droppings on the shelves, food packets which had been gnawed... and a dead mouse in a food refrigerator.

"Food shelves were in a filthy, dirty unhygienic condition and sticky with rodent urine," said the prosecutor.

"Packets of Kettle Chips showed evidence of being chewed and packets of rice cakes had been gnawed.

"Lettuces stored in a box on the floor were contaminated with rodent droppings."

The store was shut down in June last year, magistrates were told, and only reopened once health officers were satisfied there was no risk to public health.

Ahad was fined £2,000, plus £900 costs, for contravening food hygiene regulations.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser