Orient’s pre-season preparation set to go up a notch
- Credit: Archant
Justin Edinburgh’s team can expect to be tested up against Concord Rangers and St Albans City over the next week
Leyton Orient’s preparation for the new National League season will take a step up over the next seven days.
The O’s are gearing up for the opening competitive match of the campaign on August 4 and arranged to face some serious tests in July.
After beginning pre-season at Harlow Town, where they won 7-0, Orient spent last week in Portugal and ended their time in the Algarve with a 5-4 loss to Benfica B.
Over the coming days, Justin Edinburgh’s team will test themselves against sides from the division below.
You may also want to watch:
East Thurrock United were the first National League South outfit to host the O’s on Tuesday in a game which saw Orient defender Marvin Ekpiteta return to Rookery Hill again as the visitors secured a 4-0 victory.
Coming up next for the east Londoners this weekend is a trip to Concord Rangers, who are now managed by former midfielder Sammy Moore.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Moore enjoyed a two-year stay at Brisbane Road during 2015 and 2017 and although it was an up and down time for Orient as a club, the 30-year-old developed a good rapport with the fans.
He has made a number of signings since taking over at Thames Road and several have links to the O’s.
Sean Clohessy is a Concord player and will be well-known to Orient supporters after he played 47 times for the club in the 2015/16 campaign.
Clohessy was released at the start of the following term and spent time with Moore at Leatherhead before joining him in Essex.
He will go up against his old club on Saturday and so will Frazer Shaw – another player who featured for the O’s in the 2015/16 season.
Also potentially part of the Concord team this weekend is Aron Pollock, who left Orient in March after working his way through the academy at Brisbane Road.
Injuries blighted his time in E10, but after linking up with Moore at Leatherhead, he has already played for Rangers in pre-season and could line up against O’s on Saturday.
After Orient have taken on Concord, Edinburgh will take his team to St Albans City on Tuesday (July 24).
The Clarence Park club finished eighth last season and will provide O’s with a stern examination next week.