Confirmation Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti will not be extradited to Albania
- Credit: Archant
Italian pleased battle that lasted over a year has finally come to a positive conclusion for the Orient president
The Government of Albania has abandoned its efforts to have Leyton Orient president Francesco Becchetti extradited it was revealed this afternoon.
The decision announced at Westminster Magistrates Court today (Wednesday) formally ends more than a year of strong pressure for Mr Becchetti.
Earlier this month a hearing in Westminster Magistrates Court found that document submitted by the Albanian Government in support of its extradition case was “totally misleading.”
The document made a number of false statements about Albanian law, including that the extradition request could not be withdrawn, and even that the Minister would face “sanctions” in Albania if he withdrew the request.
You may also want to watch:
The judge, District Judge Nina Tempia, found these claims to be untrue. She found that there had been an attempted “manipulation and usurpation” of the court’s process by the Albanian Government and ruled that the proceedings against Mr Becchetti be stayed.
The Albanian Government initially stated it would appeal the decision to stay proceedings. However, it announced today no appeal would be lodged.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Speaking after the Albanian Government’s decision was announced in court, Mr Becchetti said: “Finally after more than a year, and after a lengthy legal fight against the unwarranted persecution of me and my employees, we have the first just decision made by the Albanian Government.
“Not to appeal the court’s decision and to end this politically motivated action, was the minimum we expected. There should now be immediate end to all other proceedings against me in Albania that remain unresolved.”
Julian Knowles QC, who represented Mr Becchetti, said the document’s contents meant that “Albania had sought to lie to this court.”