Cops arrest suspect in East End just one hour after Hornchurch burglary
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said. As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of h
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said.
As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Further enquiries by police revealed that a burglary in the Hornchurch area had taken place an hour previously and officers seized medals, watches and other jewellery items from the man.
Tower Hamlets Police's safer neighbourhood coordinator Insp Steve Kennedy said: "It was good old fashioned police work. The officers stopped him and spoke to him and became suspicious so they searched him.
"It's a great result as now we've been able to give the owner back their property which they otherwise would have missed a great deal."
During the same operation a 28 year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine.
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 3 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 4 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 5 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 6 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 7 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 8 Covid-19: How the situation in Tower Hamlets compares to this time last year
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
Further enquiries by officers revealed that he was an illegal immigrant and a search of his home revealed more cocaine and also cannabis.
Police seized drug paraphernalia as well as counterfeit passports and other documents.