Cops arrest suspect in East End just one hour after Hornchurch burglary
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said. As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of h
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said.
As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Further enquiries by police revealed that a burglary in the Hornchurch area had taken place an hour previously and officers seized medals, watches and other jewellery items from the man.
Tower Hamlets Police's safer neighbourhood coordinator Insp Steve Kennedy said: "It was good old fashioned police work. The officers stopped him and spoke to him and became suspicious so they searched him.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a great result as now we've been able to give the owner back their property which they otherwise would have missed a great deal."
During the same operation a 28 year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 9 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
Further enquiries by officers revealed that he was an illegal immigrant and a search of his home revealed more cocaine and also cannabis.
Police seized drug paraphernalia as well as counterfeit passports and other documents.