Cops arrest suspect in East End just one hour after Hornchurch burglary
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said. As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of h
A SUSPECTED handler was collared by police in the East End just an hour after a home in Hornchurch was burgled, police have said.
As part of an operation at Stepney Green Underground Station on Thursday last week, officers arrested a man on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Further enquiries by police revealed that a burglary in the Hornchurch area had taken place an hour previously and officers seized medals, watches and other jewellery items from the man.
Tower Hamlets Police's safer neighbourhood coordinator Insp Steve Kennedy said: "It was good old fashioned police work. The officers stopped him and spoke to him and became suspicious so they searched him.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a great result as now we've been able to give the owner back their property which they otherwise would have missed a great deal."
During the same operation a 28 year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of cocaine.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
Further enquiries by officers revealed that he was an illegal immigrant and a search of his home revealed more cocaine and also cannabis.
Police seized drug paraphernalia as well as counterfeit passports and other documents.