Cops crackdown on stolen bike sales in Brick Lane
COPS seized stolen bikes, a stash of pornographic DVDs and thousands of illegally imported cigarettes when they cracked down on unlawful trading in Brick Lane on Sunday. Three people were arrested for handling stolen goods and another three people are in
COPS seized stolen bikes, a stash of pornographic DVDs and thousands of illegally imported cigarettes when they cracked down on unlawful trading in Brick Lane on Sunday.
Three people were arrested for handling stolen goods and another three people are in the process of being prosecuted for illegal market trading as a result of the operation which involved police from Tower Hamlets and Hackney and council officials.
Teams of cops and council workers patrolled the streets in plain clothes and uniform and staff at Tower Hamlets council's CCTV control room helped identify people involved in selling stolen bicycles.
Several mobile phones and around 3,000 cigarettes and 23 pouches of tobacco were seized along with the 10 bikes, which police believe are stolen. Officers also found 143 pornographic DVDs dumped in Sclater Street.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets council's community safety leader Cllr Abdal Ullah said: "We will crackdown so anyone planning on selling bikes illegally in Tower Hamlets should be aware that we are ready to stop them.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic