Cops get powers to break up Brick Lane trouble makers
POLICE will use powers to break up groups of trouble makers in Brick Lane over the summer weekends. Cops and the council have drawn up a dispersal zone, giving officers the power to move anyone on if they believe they may become involved in antisocial beh
POLICE will use powers to break up groups of trouble makers in Brick Lane over the summer weekends.
Cops and the council have drawn up a dispersal zone, giving officers the power to move anyone on if they believe they may become involved in antisocial behaviour.
The move comes in response to neighbours' complaints about problems relating to alcohol-related crime and disorder.
Tower Hamlets council's community safety leader Cllr Abdal Ullah said: "The dispersal zone means that we now have the power to break up groups of troublemakers before they become involved in crime or antisocial behaviour."
You may also want to watch:
The dispersal zone, which covers most of Brick Lane and the surrounding streets, will be in operation on Friday and Saturday nights from 6pm-2am from Friday, July 23 to Saturday, August 28th.
Sgt Charlie Earwicker said: "We have consulted with local residents, businesses and partner agencies who are supportive of the implementation of this Dispersal Zone.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
"This is one of several initiatives that we are carrying out in the area to reassure the public and make Brick Lane a safer, cleaner place to live, work and visit.