Cops get powers to break up Brick Lane trouble makers
POLICE will use powers to break up groups of trouble makers in Brick Lane over the summer weekends. Cops and the council have drawn up a dispersal zone, giving officers the power to move anyone on if they believe they may become involved in antisocial beh
POLICE will use powers to break up groups of trouble makers in Brick Lane over the summer weekends.
Cops and the council have drawn up a dispersal zone, giving officers the power to move anyone on if they believe they may become involved in antisocial behaviour.
The move comes in response to neighbours' complaints about problems relating to alcohol-related crime and disorder.
Tower Hamlets council's community safety leader Cllr Abdal Ullah said: "The dispersal zone means that we now have the power to break up groups of troublemakers before they become involved in crime or antisocial behaviour."
The dispersal zone, which covers most of Brick Lane and the surrounding streets, will be in operation on Friday and Saturday nights from 6pm-2am from Friday, July 23 to Saturday, August 28th.
Sgt Charlie Earwicker said: "We have consulted with local residents, businesses and partner agencies who are supportive of the implementation of this Dispersal Zone.
- 1 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 4 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 7 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 8 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
- 9 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
"This is one of several initiatives that we are carrying out in the area to reassure the public and make Brick Lane a safer, cleaner place to live, work and visit.