Cops hunt American university 'bandit' thought to be hiding in London's East End
A MAN wanted in connection with high-value robberies in America may be hiding in the East End and is now on the Met s most wanted list. John McLean, 23, is believed to be part of the notorious GMU Bandits gang which stole �55,000 worth of technical equi
A MAN wanted in connection with high-value robberies in America may be hiding in the East End and is now on the Met's "most wanted" list.
John McLean, 23, is believed to be part of the notorious GMU Bandits gang which stole �55,000 worth of technical equipment from George Mason University in Virginia, USA in 2006 and are believed to be responsible for a string of high-value thefts from universities along the USA's east coast.
The other three gang members, some of whom appeared on the FBI's Most Wanted list, are behind bars but McLean, a British national, fled to the UK and could be hiding out in Tower Hamlets where he is thought to have links.
The Metropolitan Police has now launched an appeal to trace McLean along with nine other dangerous men who are believed to have offended abroad and could now be living in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Operation Sunfire is a man-hunt by the MPS Extradition Unit to trace and arrest alleged murderers, rapists and robbers, amongst other criminals, and put them through the extradition process to face justice abroad.
McLean is believed to have stolen computers, projectors and TV equipment totalling a value of $89,000 from George Mason University and cops in the states believe the crime may be linked to the Russian mafia.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 3 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 4 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 8 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 9 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
Police are urging anyone with information on the whereabouts of John McLean or any of the other men to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.