Cops hunt American university 'bandit' thought to be hiding in London's East End
A MAN wanted in connection with high-value robberies in America may be hiding in the East End and is now on the Met s most wanted list. John McLean, 23, is believed to be part of the notorious GMU Bandits gang which stole �55,000 worth of technical equi
A MAN wanted in connection with high-value robberies in America may be hiding in the East End and is now on the Met's "most wanted" list.
John McLean, 23, is believed to be part of the notorious GMU Bandits gang which stole �55,000 worth of technical equipment from George Mason University in Virginia, USA in 2006 and are believed to be responsible for a string of high-value thefts from universities along the USA's east coast.
The other three gang members, some of whom appeared on the FBI's Most Wanted list, are behind bars but McLean, a British national, fled to the UK and could be hiding out in Tower Hamlets where he is thought to have links.
The Metropolitan Police has now launched an appeal to trace McLean along with nine other dangerous men who are believed to have offended abroad and could now be living in the UK.
Operation Sunfire is a man-hunt by the MPS Extradition Unit to trace and arrest alleged murderers, rapists and robbers, amongst other criminals, and put them through the extradition process to face justice abroad.
McLean is believed to have stolen computers, projectors and TV equipment totalling a value of $89,000 from George Mason University and cops in the states believe the crime may be linked to the Russian mafia.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 9 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 10 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
Police are urging anyone with information on the whereabouts of John McLean or any of the other men to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.