Cops hunt Stepney hit and run driver after pensioner killed
TRAFFIC police are hunting for the driver of a BMW after a pensioner was killed in a hit and run in Stepney.
Cops were called to White Horse Lane, near the junction with Shandy Street, at 9.20pm on Tuesday night after the car was in collision with the 75-year-old woman, who is said to have lived locally.
They arrived to find the BMW 318i convertible on its side. Passers-by had helped the driver from the car but he ran away from the scene before officers arrived.
The woman died at the scene.
A post-mortem examination has been provisionally scheduled for this morning (Thursday) at Poplar mortuary.
You may also want to watch:
Next of kin have been informed, but the woman has not yet been formally identified.
Det Sgt Joe Lock, of the Met’s road death investigation unit at Chadwell Heath, said: “Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, especially those who may have helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
“We need to trace this man as soon as a possible. He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.
“He may have suffered some injuries himself.”
Police are appealing to anyone with information to contact the Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.