Cops in raids across London targeting sex and hate’ crime
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime. It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far, but the operation is running all day.
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime.
It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far.
Raids are being carried out all through the day in all 32 Metropolitan London boroughs as part of Operation Athena, Scotland Yard confirmed this morning.
Cops are “proactively targeting dangerous and prolific offenders” as well as carrying out high visibility patrols.
You may also want to watch:
Det Supt Gerry Campbell, heading Operation Athena, said: “Today’s operation sends out a clear message that violence in any form is unacceptable. This is a relentless commitment to tackling all forms of hate crime.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
“We now have public protection groups in every London borough, proactively investigating hate and sexual crimes perpetrated by violent and dangerous offenders.”
The operation involves Neighbourhood teams across East London and elsewhere, including Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham, to encourage victims to come forward and report attacks and abuse to police directly, or through a third party.
Hate crime includes racist, homophobic and disability motivated crime, as well as crimes against adults at risk or old age pensioners even by members of their own family or their carers.