Cops in raids across London targeting sex and hate’ crime
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime. It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far, but the operation is running all day.
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime.
It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far.
Raids are being carried out all through the day in all 32 Metropolitan London boroughs as part of Operation Athena, Scotland Yard confirmed this morning.
Cops are “proactively targeting dangerous and prolific offenders” as well as carrying out high visibility patrols.
You may also want to watch:
Det Supt Gerry Campbell, heading Operation Athena, said: “Today’s operation sends out a clear message that violence in any form is unacceptable. This is a relentless commitment to tackling all forms of hate crime.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
“We now have public protection groups in every London borough, proactively investigating hate and sexual crimes perpetrated by violent and dangerous offenders.”
The operation involves Neighbourhood teams across East London and elsewhere, including Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham, to encourage victims to come forward and report attacks and abuse to police directly, or through a third party.
Hate crime includes racist, homophobic and disability motivated crime, as well as crimes against adults at risk or old age pensioners even by members of their own family or their carers.