Cops in raids across London targeting sex and hate’ crime
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime. It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far, but the operation is running all day.
POLICE have begun a series of raids across London this morning (Wednesday) to crack down on sexual, domestic and hate’ crime.
It’s unknown yet how many arrests have been made or how many addresses have been raided so far.
Raids are being carried out all through the day in all 32 Metropolitan London boroughs as part of Operation Athena, Scotland Yard confirmed this morning.
Cops are “proactively targeting dangerous and prolific offenders” as well as carrying out high visibility patrols.
Det Supt Gerry Campbell, heading Operation Athena, said: “Today’s operation sends out a clear message that violence in any form is unacceptable. This is a relentless commitment to tackling all forms of hate crime.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 4 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 5 London among areas where drought is declared
- 6 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Wellens wants fans 'out in force' as Leyton Orient host Mansfield
- 9 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 10 Kelman's first goal lifts Leyton Orient to third straight win
“We now have public protection groups in every London borough, proactively investigating hate and sexual crimes perpetrated by violent and dangerous offenders.”
The operation involves Neighbourhood teams across East London and elsewhere, including Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham, to encourage victims to come forward and report attacks and abuse to police directly, or through a third party.
Hate crime includes racist, homophobic and disability motivated crime, as well as crimes against adults at risk or old age pensioners even by members of their own family or their carers.