Cops set up booze busters’ to dilute liquor lout crime
A SPECIAL unit has been set up today by cops to tackle alcohol-related crime at its roots in London’s East End. They are running the new Alcohol Arrest’ referral service at Bethnal Green and Limehouse police stations 7am to 10pm, seven days a week
A SPECIAL unit has been set up today (Wednesday) by cops to tackle alcohol-related crime at its roots in London’s East End.
They have teamed up with Town Hall officials at Tower Hamlets to run the new Alcohol Arrest’ referral service at Bethnal Green and Limehouse police stations. It operates 7am to 10pm seven days a week.
Tower Hamlets council said in a statement: “There is evidence showing a significant number of crimes are related to excessive drinking. The new alcohol arrest referral intends to treat the causes these crimes, rather than the symptoms.”
Liquor louts over 18 who’ve been collared for booze-related crime such as assault, criminal damage or drunk-driving can volunteer to take a test to identify the risk level at which they are drinking.
You may also want to watch:
Those whose booze consumption shows a high risk’ are then referred to the Drugs & Alcohol service for London for further help by an alcohol arrest’ referral worker.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 9 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries