Cottee: I’d love to see Michael Owen at West Ham
Hammers legend doesn’t think it would be the end of the world if Rob Green left the club
It is set to be another summer of change at West Ham but unlike last year I don’t expect that we will need to knock the house down a build again, writes Tony Cottee.
We have the nucleus of a Premier League squad at the moment, with the likes of James Tomkins, Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan and Carlton Cole and with a few additions over the coming months we should be strong enough for the top flight.
I would personally like to see six or seven new faces arrive at Upton Park and I think that the most important position we need to cover is defence.
We need two new full-backs as well as central defensive cover for Tomkins and Winston Reid, especially now Abdoulaye Faye has been released.
You may also want to watch:
There is a lot of talk about Robert Green departing the club when his contract expires at the end of next month and I think if the England man does leave, he can do so with his head held high.
He has been a good servant to the club, but it won’t be the end of the world if he does leave.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
There are suitable replacements for him with the likes of Paul Robinson of Blackburn and Sunderland’s Craig Gordon rumoured to be of interest.
I would also like to see the Hammers sign a creative midfielder and a striker, a real goalscorer which will be crucial in the Premier League.
My first choice would be to go all out to get Michael Owen.
He may have had some injury problems, but a frontline of him and Cole would be great to see in the Premier League.
People forget that Owen is only 32 years old and I think that he still has lots of goals in him and would love to see him at Upton Park.
In terms of departures, I won’t be too sad to see the likes of Papa Bouba Diop, Julien Faubert and John Carew leave the club.
Some of those players were brought in just to get West Ham out of the Championship and now that is done, they are surplus to requirements, unfortunately.