Council crackdown on East End housing cheats
TOWER Hamlets council says it is cracking down on housing cheats.
Working with other social landlords, the council has launched a campaign to tackle people illegally sub-letting a council or housing association property and hop to put across the message that this could be depriving someone of a home that could rightfully be theirs.
The council’s risk management head Minesh Jani said: “We all know that housing is a particular issue for our borough. Tower Hamlets is only eight miles across and our population is one of the fastest growing in London.
“As a council, we’re working hard to get residents into appropriate housing and this is undermined when people act illegally to sub-let or occupy homes that might have been allocated to a family in need.”
The council, which bid for Government funding to tackle the problem, has established a new team to crack down on housing cheats.
You may also want to watch:
Since starting work in May, the team has recovered sixteen properties for re-allocation. A further 22 are the subject of ‘Notice to Quit’ applications and 45 additional cases are being actively pursued for benefits issues.
Minesh added: “We’re calling on local people to help us in this campaign. You can contact us confidentially to tell us about properties you think might be illegally occupied and we’ll investigate to ensure they are allocated to the people who need them most.”
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
Call the council free on 0800 528 0294 or email firstname.lastname@example.org