Council 'delighted' at decision to scrap East End Islamic conference
Council chiefs have welcomed the Troxy's decision to call off next week's Islamic conference. After mounting pressure from the community, the venue took the decision to scrap the June 20 event 'The Book that Shook the World.'
Council chiefs have welcomed the Troxy's decision to call off next week's Islamic conference.
After mounting pressure from the community, the venue took the decision to scrap the June 20 conference, 'The Book that Shook the World.'
A spokesman for the Troxy said some speakers set to attend had the potential to clash with the Tower Hamlet's No Place for Hate pledge which the venue had recently signed.
In a joint statement Cllr Helal Abbas and Cllr Josh Peck said: "We called for the event to be cancelled because of concerns about the reported views of some of the speakers and the divisive impact it was having on our community.
You may also want to watch:
"We are delighted that the Troxy's management have now listened and acted in a manner that supports their original commitment to the council's 'No Place for Hate' campaign."
The council also welcomed the news a march by the far-right English Defence League, slated for the same day, has also been scrapped
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
The statement reads: "We understand that the English Defence League has also listened to calls for it to withdraw its request for a demonstration and we would also ask Unite Against Fascism to call off their counter-demonstration.