Council's bid to bust antisocial behaviour on East End estates
COUNCIL officers are patrolling housing estates in a bid to stamp out antisocial behaviour. Tower Hamlets Enforcement officers have been working with Tower Hamlets Homes staff to carry out patrols in blocks of flats as part of the council s new Operation
COUNCIL officers are patrolling housing estates in a bid to stamp out antisocial behaviour.
Tower Hamlets Enforcement officers have been working with Tower Hamlets Homes staff to carry out patrols in blocks of flats as part of the council's new Operation Stairwell.
The THEOs concentrated on anti-social behaviour hotspots including Hainton Close in Shadwell, Stayners Road in Stepney, Spring Walk in Whitechapel and Dowler House in Shadwell and say they stopped 44 troublemakers and that their activities also led to two arrests for drug offences.
Using their powers they asked for their names and addresses and details of persistent offenders were passed onto Tower Hamlets Homes' antisocial behaviour prevention team.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets council's community safety chief Cllr Abdal Ullah said: "High-visibility patrols on estates help to deter anti-social behaviour and reassure residents.
"We're taking a zero-tolerance approach to anyone misbehaving in communal stairwells, with groups of potential troublemakers being moved on."
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 4 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 5 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 6 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 7 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 8 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 9 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 10 Tower Hamlets youth worker on lack of funding for vital services
Fly-tipping, bulk rubbish and dog fouling are also tackled by the THEOs on Tower Hamlets Homes estates.